Uniting POC and Queer/Trans* People
- Meet students throughout Santa Cruz County — from Watsonville to Scotts Valley — who are working to help create safer schools in their community!
- Lunch and Snacks Provided
- Experience workshops put on by fellow youth and community resources.
- Meet LGBTIQ/Ally Community Leaders
- Fruit Smoothie Party
- and more
Summit A Success!
Read about the Summit in the Santa Cruz Sentinel “South County Summit Empowers LGBTQ Youth”
Thank you to all the students who attended — and to all the workshop presenters, resource fair participants and most of all, to the leaders of the Watsonville High School Sexuality & Gender Acceptance (SAGA) student club who helped plan the Summit.
Special Guest: Lily Sturgis is a local, immigration attorney. Her family is from Nicaragua and Mexico, but she was raised in Santa Cruz. She will be on hand to talk about the rights of immigrants and recent changes in immigration law. She will also be available to answer any immigration questions students may have.
Workshops Session # 1
- Break the Binary
- How to Have a Kick-Ass Campaign
- March On
- Poster Making to Promote Social Justice
- Intersectionality and You
- Decolonizing Gender and Sexuality
Workshops Session # 2
- Direct Action for Queers & Allies
- Dismantling the School-to-Prison/Deportation Pipeline
- Label-Free Creativity
- LGBTQ+ Identity Exploration in Adolescence: Is it more Challenging for Low-income Immigrant Latinx and Black Youth?
- Healthy and Unhealthy Relationships in the Queer Community
This year’s theme is “Uniting POC and Queer/Trans* People“
Student leaders and members from the Watsonville High School Sexuality And Gender Acceptance (SAGA) student club selected the theme of “Uniting POC and Queer/Trans* People.” They felt that intersectionality, specifically at this time, is very crucial to forward acceptance in this society that does not necessarily validate these minority groups. They want people to come together and share their experiences, and their pride, no matter how they identify. And, they wanted to create a space that highlights the different ways we can all help each other and grow as a community.
Visit us on Facebook
Sponsored by the Safe Schools Project of Santa Cruz County, a program of the Queer Youth Task Force and:
- Watsonville High School Sexuality and Gender Acceptance (SAGA) student club
- Watsonville High School
- Watsonville High School student clubs, including Young Feminists Taking Action, Dream Club, Mexican Americans Taking Action, Empower Club, The Givers, The Interact Club, Echo & Watsonville High School ASB
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Santa Cruz County
- Boys & Girls Club of Santa Cruz
- Bread for the Journey
- California Rural Legal Assistance – CRLA
- County Mental Health Services Act (MHSA)
- Diversity Center Youth Program
- Genders & Sexualities Alliance Network (GSA Network)
- Good Times Community Fund
- Our Gente: A Program of The Epicenter
- Out In Our Faith
- Pajaro Valley Pride
- Pájaro Valley Unified School District (PVUSD)
- PFLAG Santa Cruz County
- Santa Cruz City Schools (SCCS)
- Santa Cruz County Office of Education (COE)
- Trans* Teen Project
- UCSC Lionel Cantú GLBTI Resource Center
- United Way of Santa Cruz County
- and additional community organizations
Volunteer, Sponsor or be a Guest Speaker
For information on how to become a volunteer, sponsor, or speaker at this summit, email us with your information and any experience you may have in queer youth organizing or events.
Please help distribute flyers widely on campus and community. Thank you!