A free conference for parents, guardians, and other adult allies who want a deeper understanding of gender and youth
Saturday, October 5, 2019
9:30 am – 2:00 pm
Watsonville High School — Watsonville
Light breakfast, snacks and lunch provided
Simultaneous Spanish Translation provided
Understandings of gender are changing rapidly and it can be challenging to keep up! Parents might believe that they only have to pay attention to their child’s gender if it falls outside of traditional gender norms. While it is true that transgender, non-binary, and otherwise gender-expansive children are particularly at risk, every child is limited by traditional gender roles and stereotypes. Parents and ally adults play a crucial role in creating a safe and supportive environment for all young people around their gender.
We hope you’ll join us for a day of learning, conversation, and reflection about youth and gender, including such topics as:
A framework to help you understand the dimensions of gender
Some common terms and the ways in which understandings of gender are changing
How children and youth see gender communicated in our society
Affirmative parenting practices around gender
How your own experiences with gender may affect your parenting
Some suggestions for talking with children and teens about gender
- How to work with schools to make them more gender inclusive and safe for gender expansive youth
- Strategies for navigating the school system with transgender or gender nonconforming students
- An informational workshop on the medical aspects of gender transition in youth presented by Dr. Jen Hastings
Schedule for Parent/Guardian/Adult Ally Summit
- 9:00 am – 9:30 am: Early Registration and Light Breakfast
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am: Welcome & Overview of Gender presentation
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm: Presentation by Dr. Jen Hastings
- 12:00 pm – 12:10 pm: Snack break
- 12:10 pm – 1:05 pm: Presentation by local professionals on supporting trans and gender diverse kids and youth in K-12 schools
- 1:05 pm – 1:15pm: Closing
- 1:15 pm – 2:00 pm: Lunch and Resource Fair
Call for Volunteers — Day of the Event
Please help us make the Parent/Guardian Summit run smoothly. We are looking for volunteers to help with a few aspects of the event and if you have an hour or two to spare during the day of the event between 8:00 am – 3:00 pm on Saturday, October 5, 2019 at Watsonville High School in Watsonville, please contact Oliver Cantrell, Fall 2019 Summit Volunteer Coordinator, at email or (831) 427-4004.
If you need credit for Community Service Hours, please share your address and any other details needed. We will mail out letters shortly after the event.
There are two Summits — The Queer, Trans & Allied Student Summit & The Parent/Guardian Summit — both on the same day and time. Volunteers are needed for both.
To learn more about the many volunteer opportunities, visit the Fall 2019 Parent/Guardian Summit Volunteer Page.
Welcome from the Parent/Guardian Summit Co-chairs
Parent/Guardian Summit Flyer Download
Please help distribute flyers widely in the community. Thank you!
Por favor ayude a distribuir volantes ampliamente en la comunidad. ¡Gracias!
Download Parent/Guardian Summit — English Color Flyer
Download Parent/Guardian Summit — Spanish Color Flyer