The Safe Schools Project provides a wide range of services to schools, school districts and related organizations. Our professional staff is available to provide school district wide or school related professional learning experiences ranging from safe and inclusive school visioning, policy development, workshops, professional development days, staff meetings, one on one teaching guidance, curriculum development, and institutes – and we can provide this in person or online. We can provide this guidance for administrators, teachers, support staff, counselors and parents. Just contact us for more information.
CSUMB Summer Course
“Teaching LGBT History in Schools” – June 2018
Instructor: Dr. Rob Darrow. Course taught online with weekly online meetings.
Must devote a minimum of 10 hours a week for coursework.
Register by May 1.
Books to Purchase
The Safe Schools Project has published the following curriculum guides for teachers:
- Inclusive Sex Education: A Comprehensive Sex Education Guide for Teachers
- LGBT History Curriculum Guide: 11th Grade
- LGBT History Curriculum Guide: 8th Grade
The topics we can provide guidance about are listed below:
LGBT History Professional Learning for Teachers
- The FAIR Act was passed in 2011 that mandates the teaching of LGBT History in social studies classrooms. The State Board of Education updated the state social science framework in 2016. But most teachers have never learned about LGBT history nor thought about the strategies about how it is taught. This session addresses LGBT history knowledge and strategies to teach LGBT lessons. Semester long cohort guidance or two-day workshop for teachers customized for your school.
See more info here.
- Includes curriculum guide and online lessons.
- 11th Grade U.S. History or English Teachers
- 8th Grade U.S. History Teachers
LGBT Inclusive Sex Education Professional Development
- The LGBT Inclusive Sex Education Act was signed into law in 2015. Few teachers are trained in how to teach inclusive sex education.This session addresses Inclusive Sex Education knowledge and strategies to teach LGBT lessons. Semester long cohort guidance or two-day workshop for teachers customized for your school. Includes curriculum guide and online lessons.
LGBT Sex Education for Students
- Teachers on our staff are trained in teaching inclusive sex education lessons. The Inclusive Sex Education curriculum guide for students can be used in conjunction. Consultation with schools or school districts who want to handle the teaching is available as well.
Safe School Environment
- Discusses all the necessary steps to create a safe environment for LGBT students in your school. It covers the state laws, ed code, the importance of a QSA on campus, creating a safe classroom environment, school policies and processes. When students feel safe on a school campus, they achieve better in their studies and are more college and career ready.
Trans 101/Supporting Transgender Youth
- Discusses current laws and terminology, necessary procedures to protect trans students, bringing staff up to speed on helping trans students feel safe at school as well as working with parents of trans students. We can also work directly with a school site to make sure the site is in conformity with California law with regards to Gender Neutral Bathrooms, Locker rooms, attendance and name changes.
- Provides school site staff a broad overview of LGBT issues with regards to California laws regarding a school’s duty to protect and support LGBT students, staff and parents.
LGBT Laws and Ed Code 101
- In depth presentation on all the California laws, California case law and Education Code governing all LGBT issue. It is intended for administrators, counselors and those who deal with the “process” of implementing the practice of protecting LGBT students, staff and parents. Some appropriate Federal laws will also be covered.
Administrator Professional Development
- Customized based on the needs and on the topics above. Administrators are guided in the policies, practices and structures that need to be in place to provide safe and inclusive school environments. One hour, one day or two-day sessions available.
One time or Ongoing Consultation for safe and inclusive school environments, inclusive sex education, and LGBT history is available.
Contact Rob Darrow to customize a professional learning opportunity for your school or organization. And, most importantly, to make your school a safe space for all students who will excel in your school.