A message from the Spring 2020 Monterey County Student Summit to the public:
Dear students, parents/guardians, volunteers, and workshop leaders,
We are writing to let you know that we have decided to postpone the 2020 “Be You: Uplifting Our Community” Monterey County LGBTQ+ Youth Leadership Summit due to concerns over the COVID-19 outbreak.
Public health and state officials unanimously recommend postponing large gatherings and avoiding unnecessary travel. Event organizers decided it is best not to gather during this time of heightened risk.
We plan to hold the summit in the Fall of 2020 when conditions allow us to convene without major public health concerns. While this decision was difficult to make, we take the safety and health of our guests, volunteers, and community very seriously. We are sorry for any inconvenience and appreciate you working with us during this evolving situation.
Here are the guidelines from California Department of Public Health that we are following and that we recommend as guidance for other community events and meetings:
In order to minimize the risk of catching the virus or spreading it, please wash your hands, cover your cough, and stay home if you’re sick. You can find current guidelines from Monterey county. And for California.
(831) 998-7291 / Email
The Queer Youth Task Force of Santa Cruz County and Safe Schools Project are proud to continue its partnership with Monterey County — and announce the next Youth Summit!
Monterey County LGBTQ+ Youth Leadership Summit 2020
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Soledad High School — Soledad
All High School & Middle School LGBTQIA/Ally Students welcome!
- School Buses have been arranged for students from Santa Cruz County!
- Experience workshops put on by fellow youth and community organizers.
- Meet students throughout Santa Cruz County & Monterey County — from Watsonville and Salinas & Soledad to Scotts Valley — who are working to help create safer schools in their community!
- Breakfast, Snacks and Lunch Provided – Free
- Resource Fair
- and more
Find us on Facebook
For additional information, visit Salinas Valley Pride
For questions, contact Sam Gomez, Co-coordinator of the Monterey County LGBTQ+ Youth Leadership Summit 2020, at (831) 998-7291 or email.
- 9:00-9:30 am: Breakfast & Check-in
- 9:30-9:55 am: Opening Ceremony & Keynote
- 9:55-10:10 am: Community Builder Activity in Groups
- 10:20-11:20 am: Workshop # 1
- 11:20 am-12:05 pm: Lunch, Resource Fair & Crafts
- 12:10-1:10 pm: Workshop # 2
- 1:20-2:20 pm: Workshop # 3
- 2:20-3:00 pm: Closing Circle
- 3:00 pm: End
Save your spot at the Monterey County LGBTQ+ Youth Leadership Summit 2020!
Registration helps us with preparations for breakfast, snacks and lunch, plus printing name badges.
The Spring 2020 Summit theme is “Be You: Uplifting Our Communities”
About the Monterey County LGBTQ+ Summit
Students who attend the Queer, Trans, and Ally Student Summit may be able to earn school credit for participating in the summit.
Summit participants engage in community building and help create a safer, more inclusive environment for LGBT+ and ally youth in Santa Cruz County. Participants also learn about a variety of topics related to the LGBT+ community that will help them gain a deeper understanding of LGBT+ experiences which will compliment school curriculum in the areas of history and health, among others.
Youth may also volunteer and present workshops which builds their interpersonal and communication skills.
If your school has a community service, volunteer, or similar requirement, talk to your school counselor to see if you can earn credit for attending the summit.
Be sure to bring any required paperwork or forms to be signed by Summit staff.
For more information, contact Stuart Rosenstein, chair, Queer Youth Task Force, Jamie Cutter, M.Ed., English and Health Teacher, QSA Advisor and Safe School Lead, Delta High School at Cabrillo College at (831) 427-4004 or email or Eric Mora at Salinas Valley Pride.
A free conference for parents, guardians, and educators who want a deeper understanding of gender and youth
Saturday, March 28, 2020
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Soledad High School — Soledad, Monterey County
Light breakfast, snacks and lunch provided
Simultaneous Spanish Translation provided
Understandings of gender are changing rapidly and it can be challenging to keep up! Parents might believe that they only have to pay attention to their child’s gender if it falls outside of traditional gender norms. While it is true that transgender, non-binary, and otherwise gender-expansive children are particularly at risk, every child is limited by traditional gender roles and stereotypes. Parents and ally adults play a crucial role in creating a safe and supportive environment for all young people around their gender.
We hope you’ll join us for a day of learning, conversation, and reflection about youth and gender.
If you require anything accessibility related (e.g.: sign language interpretation, captioning, accessible parking, specific dietary requirements, or any other accommodations) please contact Wren Reeve, (831) 427-4004, email
Specific accommodation requests should be made by March 20, 2020.
More than one contact method is useful, or at least an email address since not everyone uses the same communication methods.
LGBTIQA & Ally Youth Calendar — 2019-2020
- March 7: GSA Movie Night
- March 28: Queer Youth Conference, Soledad High School, Soledad, Monterey County
- April 11: Queer Prom
- April 24: National Day of Silence
- April: Breaking the Silence Rally & March, Watsonville Main Plaza, Watsonville
- April: Breaking the Silence Rally & March, Clock Tower, Santa Cruz
- Spring: Triangle Speakers Training for Youth & Allies
- May 1: Rainbow Tassels Project for graduating 8th grade and 12th grade students
- May 9: 23rd Annual Queer Youth Leadership Awards, San Lorenzo Valley High School, Felton, 5:30-8:30 pm
- June 7: Santa Cruz Pride, Santa Cruz, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
- July: Monterey Peninsula Pride, Monterey
- July: Gender Spectrum Family Conference
- August 7-9: Queer Camp OUT, Diversity Center
- August 16: Pajaro Valley Pride, Watsonville, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Student Summit Flyer Download
Please help distribute flyers widely on campus and community. Thank you!
Download Student Summit — English Color Flyer
Download Student Summit — Spanish Color Flyer
- 2019 Fall Student Summit
- 2019 Fall Parent/Guardian Summit
- 2019 Spring Student Summit
- 2019 Spring Parent/Guardian Summit
- 2o17 Fall Student Summit
- 2017 Winter Student Summit
- 2016 Spring Student Summit
- 2015 Fall Student Summit
- Hear about the 2019 Spring Summit on KZSC’s Closet Free Radio: Learn more about the Summit from Trisha Herrera, Assistant Summit Coordinator, who was on the Feb 25 Closet Free Radio Show, one of the oldest LGBTQ radio shows in the United States. Stay tuned to Closet Free Radio every Monday night, 7:00-8:30 pm on KZSC at 88.1 FM.
- Read about the 2017 Winter Summit in the Santa Cruz Sentinel “South County Summit Empowers LGBTQ Youth”
- Read about the 2016 Spring Summit in the Santa Cruz Sentinel “Santa Cruz County LGBTQ youth meet at Queer & Ally Student Summit“
- Read about the 2016 Spring Summit in the Santa Cruz Sentinel “Scotts Valley High School to host Queer, Ally Student Summit”